Temporary Residents/Immediately Necessary Treatment

If you are not registered with a GP but need to see one, you can get emergency treatment at any GP surgery. If you need treatment for more than 14 days, you will need to register with that GP surgery as a temporary or permanent patient. 

The surgery will ask you to complete a temporary services form GMS3. 

You can register as a temporary resident if you plan to live near the GP surgery for up to three months. After three months you will have to apply to register with that surgery as a permanent resident.

You can register temporarily with a GP surgery while away from home for work, study or on holiday. You’ll remain registered with your permanent GP surgery. 

The temporary GP surgery will pass details of any treatment you have to your permanent GP surgery. They will add the information to your medical records. 

If your application to become a temporary patient is refused, you can still receive emergency treatment for up to 14 days. 

What information do I need?

Try to have the following information with you when you see a temporary GP for the first time: 

  • Details of any medical conditions you have 
  • Details of medical conditions you’ve had in the past
  • The name of any medicines you’re currently taking
  • Details of anything you’re allergic to
  • Contact details for your permanent or previous GP surgery
  • Your NHS number